Andrew Gill

Husband. Father. Friend. Follower of Jesus. Runner. Reader. That's Me.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hurray for Oliver Onion!

The 23rd of the month is somehow always magical for Denise and me. Many of the best experiences in our journey have taken place on that day; our first picnic at Waverly Park in May, 1987, a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert, our wedding!

Naturally, April 23, 2014 was a red letter day for us.

It didn't start that way.  Denise had kind of a complicated day at work. The dogs wouldn't let me sleep. We caught the 87 at Friendship and Ella, rode it for about half a block before I realized I didn't have my driver's license and thinking I'd dropped it, hopped off and then realized I'd left it in my running shorts - safe, sound and smelling of sweat.

Once we got to PNC Park, things turned for the better. It was a pleasant, if a bit nippy evening. We settled in for some baseball and engrossing conversation, Denise excitedly telling me about the presentation she's currently working on. Our seats were fantastic! Row A, Section 135 - a dandy spot  to watch the game; literally a front row seat to watch a couple of great plays by Starling Marte; a wonderful view of the first Andrew McCutchen home run we've seen in person this year, his third straight game with a tater.  And, best of all, just down wind of the enchanting smell of the grill on  IC Light Landing.

I am very much the sucker for the sweet aroma of grilled kielbasa, sausage and hot dogs. Join those with some onions and peppers and there's probably not much you couldn't get me to do. We'd eaten dinner before the game, so I can't say I was really hungry. Plus, I try not to purchase things I don't need. But, as the game went on, the air turned cooler (and by cooler I mean my shivering was shaking our bleacher so hard Denise's teeth were rattling), Pirates catcher Chris Stewart (no more fights,please, Russell Martin) threw the ball into center field again and the Reds took a 4-2 lead. Those onions smelled better and better.

After a futile bottom of the 5th, I was pretty vulnerable to the kielbasa bug.

Between the 5th & 6th innings at PNC Park the Pirates hold the Great Pierogy Race N'at. Pierogy mascots Sauerkraut Saul, Cheese Chester, JalapeƱo Hanna, and Oliver Onion race 280 yards around the outfield wall from left to right field, thrilling the crowd with their athletic prowess. OK, maybe that's a slight overstatement, but it is fun. Such a race is not unique to Pittsburgh. The Brewers have racing sausages; the Nationals run dead Presidents. But, pierogies are uniquely Pittsburgh, so there ya go.

I'm not a big believer in 'signs from God,' or things like that - although I am intrigued by coincidences and synchronicity and am not fully convinced such are really coincidences. That's one reason why the number 23 is special to Denise and me. As I mentioned earlier, scads of consequential events have taken place on the 23rd of the month. I can't explain why, and it is true that once we noticed the pattern we started planning for it. The 23rd has often been a date night which stacks the odds of something fun happening. That's why I expected the Pirates to win tonight. How could they not?

The events of tonight's Great Pierogie Race N'at were not planned - at least not by me. I suspect the race is as rigged as professional wrestling or the NBA playoffs, but I am not in on the scheme. As the race began I said to Denise, if Oliver Onion wins, I'm getting a kielbasa. I like Oliver because I think if I was a human sized pierogy - which if I don't pick up my running is not much of a stretch -  I'd look like Oliver. He's quite suave and debonair.

Unlike earlier this month the race was clean - not interrupted by any drunk fans joining the racers in center field.  Oliver quickly fell into 3rd place and by the time the four racers reached the midpoint, I was pretty sure Cheese Chester was going to break the tape and the fates were going to restrain my appetite for me. Oh well. I didn't need a kielbasa.

And, then, my night changed. It was like Oliver had angels in the outfield, strengthening his legs and giving him the speed of Usain Bolt. In a flash, my new-found hero exploded to the front of the pack, and dashed in first place to the finish  by the Clemente Wall claiming his 4th win of the season. It truly was something to behold. My heart jumped in my chest. A smile engulfed my face. My mouth watered like one of Pavlov's dogs. Yes!!!

I have no recollection of the 6th inning.

2 comments:

  1. After this narrative, I've got to try a Pierogie, if not for the wonderment of this German? delicacy. But, how it can inspire a man to get excited over a hot dog.
    Signed, bluraider

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't even know, Buck! Pierogies are the best!!

    ReplyDelete