Andrew Gill

Husband. Father. Friend. Follower of Jesus. Runner. Reader. That's Me.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Six Awesome Things About Caleb & Courtney's Wedding

Ok, it’s been seven weeks since their best day ever, and clearly far past time for this procrastinating Dad to reflect a bit. The weekend of June 21 we trekked down to Georgetown to take part in our family’s event of the summer.

Here are six things that made the experience one I’ll hold with me the rest of my life.

·       The genuine joy Caleb and Courtney shared all weekend. I’ve seen Caleb enjoy himself before; when scoring game winning goals in 4th grade soccer games, leading The Lemongrass Grenades in concerts, or hiking through the breathtaking Red River Gorge. But this was different. This was a special kind of happy. This was an ‘I’m so genuinely grateful for this woman, these friends, my family, this suit, that song, Alfalfa, this air in my lungs, the flavor on my tongue, this moment and nothing could possibly take that away from me,’ kind of happy. Not the torrential downpour that signaled the end of Friday’s rehearsal. Not the 900ish degree humid temps that marked the not quite fire safe crowded rehearsal dinner. Not the ‘my bride’s freaking out because my cell phone died again and she isn’t sure where I am,’ blues. Nothing.
     
      The smiles etched into their fine-looking faces couldn’t have been blasted off with dynamite. The two of them were loving everything from the bluegrass massaging their bare feet to the homemade blueberry and lavender sodas to the live video feed (thanks Adam!!) making it possible for friends in Bosnia and France to ‘attend’ the ceremony, and dancing with the night away with so many of their dearest friends.
      
      As the officiant, I was exceptionally blessed with the best seat in the house as Courtney floated from the Quackenbush’s house (thanks again, Eric & Ann), across their backyard and down to the tent to take her place at Caleb’s side. It’s a good thing Craig was holding on to her, because she may just have glided into the sparkling summer sky. I’ll never forget the look on her, or Caleb’s face as we made our way through the charming ceremony they planned – which went off without a hitch. Just wonderful.

·       Reconnecting with family and friends. It was one of those weekends where the words, ‘Ohhhh it’s so good to see you!!!’ kept leaping out our mouths. We got to stay the nights and enjoy late night conversations with the Froehlichs; hang out with the Ben and Ruthie family – we’ve been friends literally all our lives and his son, Dawson made an ideal ringbearer; catch up with our siblings – Christi, Tom and their kids being part of the weekend was like a salve on some old deep wounds; Having the whole Whitlock clan there was wonderful! Caleb won't have the best in-laws ever, because that's already taken. Mark & Malachi made the trip down from Pittsburgh; I could go on, but I’m sure if I tried to make a complete list I’d leave someone off. Suffice it to say, it was a blast reveling in this weekend with so many special people.

·       Sharing a wedding eve night Guinness with Caleb. I was pleasantly surprised when Caleb suggested we go to Charlie Brown’s for a father/son beer after Friday’s festivities wrapped up. Sitting there in that somewhat crowded dark, eccentric bar I was taken back to countless conversations over games of catch and 32 in Carl’s back yard, on airplanes headed to Tel Aviv, buses from Munich to Zenica, dusty paths in the Grand Canyon, bedside in his 4 year old bedroom, the old Sentra. I’ve always appreciated Caleb’s knack for conversation; his questions, his insights, his doubts, his humor. For him to invite me to join him for this occasion frankly made my day.
      
      What we discussed that night will remain between us, and is perhaps in the long run not all that important. What does matter was the recognition as we sipped that my little boy is now a man. A man whose father is incredibly proud.

·       Delighting in a 25th anniversary dance with Denise. The week before C & C’s wedding we enjoyed a viewing of the video of our 1989 wedding & reception. One of the highpoints for me was watching those giddy 19 year old versions of ourselves talk, laugh and probably make a few people feel a bit awkward J as we swayed to Eric Clapton’s ‘Never Make You Cry.’ There’s this moment in the video where several cameras flash at once and we freeze on the screen. Young. Anxious to start our journey. Flooded with love. Filled with same kind of joy in the moment C & C shared on their weekend. It’s one of those photos your brain captures and never lets go of, even though it never makes it to paper. I get a chill up my spine every time I see or think of it. As we watched that night, I may have teared up a little knowing that we’d not been able to keep that particular pledge, nevertheless meaning it with all our might in that moment.

      As their ceremony fell 2 days before our anniversary, Caleb was thoughtful enough to add this song to the playlist for their reception and we gleefully took to the dance floor. This time we could actually dance (well, sorta, anyway). We laughed. We talked. We probably made a few people feel a bit awkward. She was jaw dropping gorgeous that night!

      Then, about half way through the song – there it was. That look. I honestly can’t remember the last time Denise looked at me that way. ThatnoholdsbarredIlovethisguyinspiteof(becauseof?)hisgoofinessandIreallydon’tcarewho’swatchingusrightnowlook. You know the look. The one the women in diamond commercials fake. I’m pretty sure my smile rivaled Caleb’s right about then.

      Probably could have just said ‘dancing.’ Dancing/singing/shouting with Emily – we believe that when you don’t know the words screaming something close is just as good if not better than the real thing - was a blast. Melting into a pool of nostalgia as Denise and Caleb danced to Mindy Gledhill’s Hourglass…wow! Enjoying the energy of C & C dancing with all their friends – the image of a slightly more than slightly buzzed Michael Pippen bopping all over the dance floor is forever etched into my mind - just a truly fantastic night. So much fun!!

·       Getting to know the Plumley  (et. al) family a little better. You pray all your kid’s life that he will marry into a family that loves and accepts him for who he is, and joins you in supporting him as he begins a new life with his bride. And, sometimes, God truly answers prayer. We’d not had a lot of time with Courtney’s family before the wedding festivities. Through showers, crafting events, rehearsal and wedding celebrations it became clear that we have in common a valuing of family that will, I trust, provide C & C a bedrock foundation.

Particularly touching was Courtney’s brother, Ryan, delivering a splendid cover of All of My Love during the wedding. He opened with some heart felt words and then charmed the socks off everyone with his fine voice and guitar playing; love for his sister and new brother in law poured out of him.

Plus – they like to have a good time, and there’s not a thing in the world wrong with that.


·       Guinness Chocolate Cake and Emily’s Nutella Cupcakes. What can I say? I like Guinness. I like chocolate. I love Emily. I like cake. Bam.

No comments:

Post a Comment