Andrew Gill

Husband. Father. Friend. Follower of Jesus. Runner. Reader. That's Me.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I love this woman; Reason 2,134,612

Warning: Shameless bragging about my wife and best friend to follow.

Hope your Mother's Day festivities were enjoyable. Ours was a delight. Caleb & Courtney drove over from Kent for the evening, we cooked at home, went to Burgatory for shakes, laughed a lot, talked for hours and celebrated the amazing woman Caleb and Em call Mamma. She is pretty freaking awesome, and I was, at times overwhelmed with the joy of our soon to be 5 member family being together for this purpose. Heck, I barely made it through our meal time prayer without crying.

Last night Denise and I had the privilege of hearing the Minimalists speak at Amazing Books. They have a really cool story and leave one with lots to think and talk about. In the spirit of minimalism, we refrained from purchasing their books or waiting in line to meet them...sorry guys, hope you made it to Charlotte without our $15.

After, we walked a short bit, and talked on the way home about what a next step for us might be. We've already been taking a lot of steps towards downsizing and practicing one of their favor maxims: 'You can't change the people around you, but you can change the people around you.'

We are in a season of weddings. Some of our favorite people will start their own families in the next few weeks.  For one of the weddings, Denise and Em are helping to throw the shower. Emily is making some of her killer cupcakes. So far I haven't convinced her to practice at home, but my waist line says that may be for the best.

Last night Denise asked me add to my to do list for Tuesday finding our cupcake tower.

Being the loving husband I am, I wrote the item on my notecard, and this morning after breakfast began my quest. I knew - sort of - where it was; in that cabinet under the kitchen counter. You know the one I'm talking about. The one where 35 items are hiding and carefully balanced and moving one means moving them all and finding anything means removing them all.

My search began with resounding success. I found three of the four pieces on my first round of pulling things out and tossing them on the kitchen floor. I moved a few other things around hoping to not have to empty the cabinet, but to no avail. Everything came out. I stuck my head in. Looked around. Felt along the walls. Nothing.

I put everything back and looked in other cabinets and the pantry, knowing I wasn't going to find the final, smallest piece any where except that cabinet.

I went back. Repeat.

Frustrated, I told Denise as she headed out for her meeting in Oakland that I couldn't find it. Any suggestions? I knew what she was going to say. It's in that cabinet. Maybe inside another pan. Or up against the wall. I'd looked inside every pan. I'd felt along the walls. Ugh. I knew she was right.

I took my shower, opened some windows because yes, even in Pittsburgh it gets warm enough to want a breeze in one's apartment, checked the book face and resumed my search.

I looked in still other cabinets I knew it wasn't in. I was tempted to look in the freezer. That thing could be any where, I thought. Except I knew where I was going to find it.

And, yes, on the third round of emptying the cabinet, looking inside every pan, craning my neck into the deepest, darkest, scariest corner and feeling with my hand - there it was. Right where Denise thought it would be. Up against the wall.

I know. I look like a man. In some regards I think that may be a good thing. But, well, when it comes to looking for something, not so much.

And, this is why I love my wife. She knew where that crazy thing would be. Could probably have found it in a much shorter amount of time. But, she offered me yet another opportunity to grow. That is one thing that makes her such an incredible mother, friend, wife, manager, person. She constantly provides growth opportunities to the people in her life.

She does so many things for us there's no room on the internet to list them all. One thing she doesn't do for anyone - something they could easily do for themselves. For this I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment