Andrew Gill

Husband. Father. Friend. Follower of Jesus. Runner. Reader. That's Me.

Friday, May 16, 2014

What I Noticed Today on My Run

Enjoyed a refreshing 4 mile run in soggy Pittsburgh Thursday afternoon. Here are some things that caught my thoughts.

  • I like encouragement. As I plop plop splashed up Stanton Avenue on the back side of Allegheny Cemetery, a random guy in his SUV rolled down his window, honked and pumped his fist shouting, 'Good job!' Moments before I'd wondered if I'd make it up this steep, steady mile or so incline from Butler Street to Woodbine Street. This rainiest May 15 in Pittsburgh history (no, really. Look it up.) was pelting me pretty good. Lately I've been struggling with such hills. My anonymous friend gave me a burst that propelled me further on. Thanks, dude!
  • I do not have great hand-eye coordination. Not long after receiving this encouragement, trying to avoid a puddle I tripped over an enormous sidewalk crack. My upper body sprawled into Stanton Avenue. My legs crashed into the small lake of mud, leaves and chilly water. I muttered something along the lines of, 'that's unfortunate.' Then crawled to my feet, laughed, wiped the pebbles off my shirt and shorts, and continued on. 
  • I prefer cool, wet weather over hot, humid weather when I run. I've known this for years, but after the steamy days earlier this week the contrast was dramatic. And welcome.
  • There are some hard core smokers in this world. Turning the last corner from Penn to 44th I pass the Port Authority bus stop folks visiting Children's Hospital use as a smoking area. It's littered with dozens of butts, empty cans, other assorted trash and a sign directing readers to the preferred smoking area on 45th Street. Even in a crisp, sideways rain that renders its cover useless, it's almost always crowded with folks getting their nicotine fix. Today was no exception. I know smoking is one of the dumbest things a person could do to their body. Yet, somehow, at this moment I admire their dedication. Just think if it was to something productive!
  • When relaxed, my mind wanders to some of the weirdest things. This day, it went something like this: the Brewers beat the Pirates today for the 8th time in 10 tries. C'mon Melancon! If it wasn't for Milwaukee the Buccos would be .500. Last year's 12-7 record against them was an outlier in this 'rivalry.' The previous 5 years Pittsburgh was 18-59 in this match-up. Seems like the Brewers are still the Pirates' nemesis. Who's my nemesis? Hand-eye coordination? Chocolate cake? These are not nearly as cool nemeses as the Joker or Penguin to Batman. Whatever. Batman's not really a superhero anyway. He's a rich guy with fantastic gadgets. Like Ironman. Only not, because Ironman is far superior to Batman. I wonder how Denise & Em are doing on their drive to Kentucky? I hope they have a great time at Jazzy's wedding. My glasses are really fogging up in this rain. I wonder if they make glasses with windshield wipers. Or defoggers. Turns out they do. With flashing headlights! Check 'em out.



The point? I don't think there is one except it's fun to pay attention to what's going on around us and inside our heads. I plan to keep trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment