Andrew Gill

Husband. Father. Friend. Follower of Jesus. Runner. Reader. That's Me.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

What I Learned (again) at Klavon's

Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor on Penn Ave in the Strip is a holdover/throwback to the age of drugstore/soda fountains (think George Bailey's childhood job in It's a Wonderful Life). I wonder if medication AND ice cream isn't a bit redundant, but that's just me.

Klavon's, with its original 1920's decor, overflows with nostalgia and yumminess and has become one of our favorite places. It's not at all good for you physically. However, it can help develop character. For instance:

Tonight after dinner Denise, Em, Bailey and I joined the Friday evening rush of moms with their kiddos, an older couple having a date night, three would be Goths and more. Denise knew what she wanted and went to claim a corner wooden booth.

Part of the allure of Klavon's (pronounced Klavon's) is its sweet oldness. Who knows what stories these marble tabletops and wooden phone booths could tell?

I ordered for Denise and myself (Cookie Monster Sundae? Heck yes!) and waited. Em and Bailey took a minute or two longer to decide. While they considered their options, one of the very kind young men behind the counter asked the group of people sitting behind me what kind of whipped cream they preferred on their sundaes - chocolate, amaretto or vanilla? AAAH!! Another decision.

I turn to Denise and she's mouthing, 'Vanilla.'

Thinking the young man was addressing me I start to answer. 'Chocol...'

'I was actually asking them,' he pointed over my shoulder.

I sheepishly smile. The girls giggle at me. He gets his answer and goes about his business.

A couple minutes pass. I look around the store, checking out the selection of candies (chocolate covered worms? Heck no!), and $.25 post cards. I wonder why the scoopers are not wearing the sweet hats the guy in this old photo prouldy dons. The guy I ask doesn't know.

Em and Bailey have now made their selection and placed their order. As scooper number 2 prepares their sundaes he asks them, 'What kind of whipped cream would you...'

'Chocolate!' I say.

'Umm. I was actually asking them,' he nods at the girls. 'But, we know what you'd like.' He smiles.

Denise is laughing. Out loud.

Denise's laugh is a lot like her dad's. It's fantastic. And a bit loud. I mean, when she's truly amused. Which she was.

So were the people seated on those fantastic stools at the counter.

And Emily.

And Bailey, who I've only met a couple of hours earlier.

Great. I am providing comic relief for all.

Of course, I'm holding one card. Just one, but it's something.

Everyone knows what kind of whipped cream I want. But only Denise and I know what kind she wants.

They still have to ask.

Which they finally do.

'Vanilla on the Turtle. Chocolate on the Cookie Monster,' I answer proudly.

'OK, you got it. Any cherries?'

AAAH! Another decision. And, a question for which I was not prepared. Except I was.
I don't look at Denise. Maraschino cherries are preserved in a brine solution that contains sulfur dioxide and calcium chloride that bleaches them, then colored with FD&C Red 40 and sugar syrup. I can answer confidently that Denise does not want one on her sundae. I love cherries, but not maraschinos. So, BAM!! I can answer quickly and confidently.

I do so. Proudly.

As I wait, watching as our sundaes are finished up, I briefly reflect on the lesson I've just learned - again.

Every major religion has teachings about patience and marking one's words.

James 1:19 from the New Testament.
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry

Tao Te Ching 15:
Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?

Proverbs 17:27-28
 The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
    and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.
 Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent,
    and discerning if they hold their tongues.

Soorah Mumineen : 1-3
Indeed successful are the Believers, those who in their prayer have Khushoo' (fear of Alla) and those who refrain from vain (empty) talk.' 

Buddha
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.

A few examples, all pulled out of context :) all stressing this truth: Sometimes it's just best to wait before speaking.

Obviously, overambitiously ordering whipped cream at Klavon's isn't the end of the world and can even be amusing. But, in how many other situations does my mouth move inappropriately? 
With unnecessary or even hurtful words? At times when listening and paying attention to Denise just a couple of seconds longer would be more helpful? 
How many times have I shot off an email that re-reading and editing would have let me be better understood? When I was in 'ministry' how many times did I plod back to my office after staff meeting kicking myself for yet again running my mouth rather than learning from someone else's perspective? I never 'won' those arguments and only proved myself an opinionated ass. And now have little to show for it.

So, as I gathered our ice cream and made my way to our booth, I resolved - again - to better mark my words. Thanks Klavon's!

No comments:

Post a Comment